In the files at the Robertson County History Museum are many photos of Henry Taylor and the honors that he received.
There are also many storage boxes of artifacts that he donated to the museum, for he was president of the Historical Society for many years.
The boxes contain rather interesting artifacts such as a variety of colorful doorknobs, a crimping iron and a wooden stirrup.
One of the most fascinating is a carved “cowboy pipe.” The story is told that it was found in a (train) car- load of bones delivered from Arizona to the fertilizer factory.
Fertilizer factory in Robertson County?
Indeed, Taylor & Powell Fertilizer Co. was located in “Kinney, Tenn.” It was near the railroad at Kinney’s Station. W.A. Powell was in charge of the manufacturing division, and W.B. Taylor ran the office and selling division.
A little booklet was published by the company for the spring and summer season of 1913.
In the little book, there is an explanation of their “No. 4 Fertilizer,” of their terms, of their use of “raw bone meal.”Other fertilizers discussed are Half and Half and different varieties of corn, oats and pea fertilizer.
Most of the book, however, contains letters of “evidence” of the use of No. 4 Tobacco Grower and of Half and Half fertilizers. These letters came from farmers all across Robertson County as well as from Clarksville, Elkton and Guthrie.
The first letter was from James Thomas Murphy in Cedar Hill, dated Dec. 25, 1912. He remembered how 1911 had been such a dry year and 1912 so wet. The No. 4 Tobacco Grower worked well both years and he was looking forward to using it in a “normal” season.
From Springfield came a letter from Mrs. Kate Wall and from Orlinda, one from J.R. Wilkes.
W.B. Taylor was William Bunyan Taylor, called Bunyan by his family. He was the father of Henry Taylor.
Bunyan Taylor was one of the seven children of George Sidney and Morilla Mason Taylor. The other children were Maud, Annie, Sue, Jewell and twins Cassie and Carl.
Maud married Beeler Mason and Cassie married Roy James Holman.
The Taylors lived in a large frame house on North Walnut in Springfield. The house has been enlarged and renovated and would hardly be recognizable by the family today.
The women in the family lived into their 80’s and 90’s. The men were not so lucky.
G.S. Taylor, the father, dropped dead of a heart attack in 1898 as he walked to work. He was only 51 years old.
His widow was 46 at the time and took over her husband’s coal business. In 1913, she was awarded a contract to furnish Robertson County schools with their coal supply. Morilla Taylor ran the company until around 1918, 20 years after G.S. Taylor’s death.
At the time of her death in 1926, her son Bunyan had been dead four months. The other six children were still living and three grandchildren survived her. Henry Taylor was one of the grandchildren.
In the Eagle’s Eye is sponsored by the Robertson County Historical Society. Call 615-382-7173 for more information.