A few years ago, it was easy to see that the red brick house at 215 North Main had been a “grand old lady” at one time. But like many grand old ladies, she was beginning to show her age.
The previous owners periodically sent a few workmen to clean or to repair. For the most part, the house – located at the corner of North Main and Third Avenue West – sat empty.
That was the past.
The house is no longer empty.
Purchased by Walt and Beth Hannabass, it has been returned to its previous beauty. It resonates with the joy of the Hannabass family – children and grandchildren.
And it is on this year’s Christmas Tour of Homes.
Originally, this was the property of Milton Green. Third Avenue was once called Green Street, and Green’s property went as far as Garner Street.
Milton Green was County Registrar for many years. When he retired, his son Joakim, referred to as Jo, took his father’s place.
In 1855, three acres of the Green property was sold to F.M. Woodard. This included a house that had been built by W.B. Adams. The old house was moved back to a lot on the north side of Third Avenue.
This left room for the lovely brick house. It was owned by Lee Woodard, who had resided five miles north of Springfield. Woodard, a successful farmer and businessman, lived there with his family until his death in 1924.
In 1942, his heirs sold it to Mrs. Jessie Barbee. It remained in the Barbee family until 2008.
After that, the owners had lived in Michigan and sent the crew to Springfield to work on the house.
The Hannabass home will be open to those with Christmas Tour tickets from 1 – 5 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 8.
Tickets cannot be bought at individual homes this year. They may be purchased at the History Museum or online. Cost of the tickets is $20.
Note: Several weeks ago, “In the Eagle’s Eye” told the story of a walking stick once owned by Samuel Johnston of Robertson County. He was one of the Tennessee volunteers who fought during the Mexican War and was part of the group that captured the castle/fort at Veracruz.
After the victory, Johnston found a section of the Mexican flagstaff. He took it with him to New Orleans, where he had it made into a walking stick.
After the column about the walking stick was published, a caller told that the artifact was in his home – here in Robertson County. It has been kept in the Johnston family.
How nice to have people who genuinely cherish the past!
In the Eagle’s Eye is sponsored by the Robertson County Historical Society. Call 615-382-7173 for more information.