Some of the grandchildren called him “Big Daddy.” Some called him “C.V.” To the townspeople, he was “Mr. Charlie.”
He had grown up in Adams, but Springfield became his home.
His father was a tobacco farmer and the sons were either in the tobacco business or in railroading.
His brother Emmett Edwards, for example, married Nell Jackson, owned tobacco warehouses and lived in the McMurry house on North Main. His brother Will was a railroad conductor and lived in Madisonville, Ky.
C.V. Edwards was a railroad man at first also – a railroad telegrapher. At the time, the railroad was an important part of life and railroading was an exciting career.
His brother Emmett, E.B. Long, and R.E. Glover constructed a concrete building in the same spot as the former Capital Theatre on South Main. This was in 1911. For several years, under the name of E.J. Edwards & Co., tobacco was prized there for the Dark District Planters Protective Association.
After the Association dissolved, Emmett Edwards and Bob Glover continued there until Edwards’ death in 1924.
Brother C.V. Edwards and Forrest Long bought the building in 1926 and the McMurrys’ tobacco business occupied it until 1937. At that time Edwards and Long sold it to the Crescent Amusement Co. The Capital Theatre was then constructed.
Edwards had at one time owned a grocery store at the fork of Batts Boulevard and South Main. He had also opened a small poolroom at the front of the tobacco warehouse.
Eventually, he moved across the street from the warehouse next to the Qualls’ auto dealership. They had been friends in Adams. There Mr. Charlie opened the poolroom that became almost legendary in Springfield.
It was definitely unique.
No cursing was allowed. No gambling. No liquor. “Females” were not welcome.
Those boys younger than 15, could not play either. And those under 21 had to have a letter from their parents giving them permission to play.
The same rules applied to everyone. But on snow days and on Saturdays a person had to get there early because Mr. Charlie’s poolroom would be full.
In the days when “movie stars” traveled from town to town to promote their latest movies, Cowboy Gene Autry came to Springfield with his famous horse Champion. When Autry visited the poolroom, he was impressed and asked Mr. Charlie how much he wanted for it.
Edwards responded that he would trade it for Champion. Of course, Edwards kept the poolroom and kept it until ill health caused him to sell it to Stewart Williams Co.
And that is not all…
In the Eagles’ Eye is sponsored by the Robertson County Historical Society. Call 615-382-7173 for more information.